KORG Electribe 2S-RD Sampling Production machine
- A production machine that lets you create beats using a gigantic array of samples.
The electribe sampler is a sample-based production machine that lets you construct beats at maximum speed. You can freely edit and resample using waveforms that you've loaded and preset samples. Modulation and effects can be controlled easily just by turning knobs on the top panel. In addition, a variety of input interfaces optimized for inputting rhythm, bass, or melody allow you to smoothly create sequences as fast as you can think.
The sequences that you create can then undergo additional evolution on stage or in your laptop. You can enjoy intuitive live performances that link various devices with the electribe sampler, or utilize this capability for full-fledged music production by exporting sequence data to Ableton Live for detailed editing and final mixing.
The latest system version 2 adds a much-requested pattern chain function that will be a great asset for live performances or music production. The lineup has also become more colorful with the new metallic red model. And we've also provided bonus patterns that reveal even greater sonic potential.
Making your beat-making ideas rapidly take shape. It's the electribe sampler; a sampler + sequencer that's thoroughly optimized for speed.
A new metallic red model – a nod to the legacy of electribe. Following the dark black unit, the lineup has been joined by a metallic red model that's reminiscent of the previous model, the ELECTRIBE SX. Complemented by the numerous colorfully illuminated LEDs, this unit will energize your playing.
Updates make the electribe sampler evolve daily. System version 2 adds support for the much-requested pattern chain function and undo function, as well as support for original value display. Users who already own an electribe sampler can update their unit and then enjoy playing.
Electribe artists, sound designers, and beat makers from around the world have created bonus pattern data packed with new sounds, phrases, and sequences. These 237 different patterns are packed with sample sounds, drum kits, and ideas for a wide range of musical styles. They are provided as reference materials for your beat-making or as foundations to give you new inspiration.
Import any waveform, and even resample. The electribe sampler lets you load any sample from an SD card and use it for producing beats. There are 499 user sample memories in which you can store original waveforms that you've created using waveform editing software or sampled sources provided by developers. Of course you can also connect a record player or instrument to the audio in jack and sample from it.
You can edit the loaded waveforms in basic ways such as changing the start/end point or pitch, and even time-slice them. The attack portions of a phrase can be detected and sliced automatically, allowing you to play them back at a desired tempo without significantly changing the sound. Sliced parts can also be assigned to specific steps or parts and triggered individually.
There's also a resampling function that lets you sample a sound that you processed, a phrase that you constructed, or your realtime performance on the electribe sampler. Additional possibilities open up when you use this in conjunction with time slices; you can change the order or rhythmic groove of a phrase, or turn a multiple-part phrase into a single sample, allowing you to add phrases using the newly-free parts to create an even more complex pattern.
The electribe sampler contains numerous production-ready sampled sources that you can use as soon as you power-on the unit. It provides a range of sampled audio sources suitable for any style of music, including 179 Drum/Perc samples such as Kick and Snare sounds that are indispensable for creating beats, 33 loop-type samples as you would expect from a sampler, 31 voice-type samples, 37 sound effect samples, and 123 more instrumental samples containing hits, shots, or phrases of Piano, Organ, Brass, or Guitar. Based on these samples from collaborators famed for their high quality, such as Sample Magic, Loopmasters, Prime Loops, and Raw Cutz, you can create the exact sample sounds that you want.
In addition, the electribe sampler provides 16 analog modeling oscillators and three filters, which you can use as accents for your sample-based music productions.
The modulation that's so important for sonic creativity is designed to be easy for anyone to control. Modulation sources such as EG and LFO are available paired with a modulation target such as Filter Cutoff and Oscillator Pitch; simply choose from 72 modulation types and then adjust the speed and depth to apply the type of modulation that you want.
A total of 32 insert effects are provided, including compressor, overdrive, and EQ. Effects can be specified individually for all parts, letting you have uncompromising control over the nuances of your sound.
Velocity-sensitive trigger pads and X/Y touch pad work together; input notes or X/Y-generated phrases to bring your ideas to life. The electribe sampler allows you to input up to 64 steps (16 steps x 4) for each part (sound). You can create beats by combining up to 16 of these parts per sequence pattern.
The step sequencer of the electribe sampler allows extremely intuitive pattern production. The 16 trigger pads and the touch pad with XY control provide a variety of modes that instantly reproduce the phrases created by your ideas, allowing rhythms and phrases to be input without requiring musical knowledge.
The electribe sampler seamlessly lets you edit sounds and input sequences in parallel. Input a sequence and edit the sound while listening to it. Efficient beat-making that would be difficult using just a DAW becomes stress-free on the electribe sampler, which allows you to think at the same speed as the music you're hearing.
Motion Sequence records parameter movements. The motion sequence function records and reproduces knob movements. You can add time-varying movement to looped sounds, creating a completely original flow of sound.
Last Step selector generates unconventional time signatures. The last step function lets you change the number of steps in the selected part. You can create unexpected and unconventional rhythms by specifying a different number of steps for each part. This function is also useful when you want to instantly change the character of the song, or when you want to adjust the length of the song.
Groove adds a natural rhythmic feel. You can choose from a total of 25 groove types that reproduce the playing technique and rhythmic feel of percussion instruments such as congas and bongos. By selecting a groove type for each part and adjusting its dynamics, you can create a natural-sounding rhythmic feel that's liberated from the 16-step grid.
From studio to stage, total control over your patterns
Control your sequences in real time with absolute freedom. Sequences that you've created on the electribe sampler will shine even more on stage when you use the various functions provided for this purpose.
For example by using, the step jump function that lets you jump instantly to the step you press, you can create dynamic performances as though you were performing the sequence itself.
The electribe sampler also lets you freely use the trigger pads and touch pad to add sounds during your live performance. Thanks to the scale/key settings, you'll never play a wrong note.
The sequences that you create can be played not only on stage, but are also fun to tweak in real time. The dynamic character of such changes makes this one of the electribe sampler's great pleasures.
Use Pattern Set and Pattern Chain to build and organize full arrangements. The pattern set function lets you register your favorite sequence patterns to the trigger pads and instantly switch between them. While you play, you can switch successively between patterns to vary the beat.
In system version 2, a pattern change function has been newly added. Using this, multiple sequence patterns can be connected for successive playback, allowing you to construct large-scale development in your song.
You can use the touch pad to freely control the master effect just as on the Kaoss Pad. You can use spatial-type effects to add overall resonance, or use "Looper" to easily create the texture of your sequence, or even use effects such as "Seq Reverse" or "Odd Stepper" to aggressively transform the music. This is also enormously effective in a live performance.
Since there's a sync jack for easy connection to KORG's groove machines, you can connect the electribe sampler to your electribe, volca series unit, or SQ-1 for playback sessions that are synchronized with your sequencer.
MIDI connectors are also provided for inter-operation with your DAW. By adding the electribe sampler's performance to your laptop-based stage setup, you can take advantage of even greater performance possibilities.
In addition to sampling via the audio in jack, you can use it during your performances, for example by applying filter and effects to an external audio input source in real time, or using the step sequencer to turn the output on/off.
In the past, machine-centric live setups required numerous synthesizers, samplers, and sequencers. Today, the electribe sampler can function in a variety of roles, either as the master device at the center of such a setup, or as a slave device that adds sparkle to the performance. Experiment with connecting different instruments to create your very own live setup.
Inter-operation with Ableton Live for a new production workflowUsing your software, you can take the numerous beats that you've come up with and assemble them into a finished product. KORG has partnered with the German company Ableton to provide a new music production workflow that uses both hardware and software.
In addition to the conventional audio export, the electribe sampler has a function for exporting to "Ableton Live" DAW software. When the dedicated project file that's exported is loaded into Ableton Live, an independent audio file for each part is placed in each track of Live, allowing you to edit each phrase using loop, mute, or chop, and then mix the result. After the music you envision has taken shape as a sequence with the rapidity that's possible only with hardware, you can then use your software to edit the material in detail. This is the new workflow with the electribe sampler.
Since the electribe sampler comes with a license card that lets you download "Ableton Live Lite" at no charge, you can experience this new workflow right away.
All playing gestures on the electribe sampler, including trigger pads and touch pad operations, can be recorded by the event recorder function. The recorded performance is saved in the electribe sampler's own format, and can be played back immediately on the electribe sampler, reproducing the realtime operations of your live performance.
Battery operation is supported. The electribe sampler supports battery operation using six AA batteries. You can take it anywhere for performance, and turn your sudden inspirations into beats.
In addition to the owner's manual included with the electribe sampler, we've prepared a parameter guide that explains each function in detail (you'll need to download this). There's also a FAQ page that lists frequently-asked questions and provides answers, so check it out if you run into problems.
- Sound SystemType: PCM sound engine + Analog modeling sound engine
- Maximum Polyphony: 24 voices, The polyphony of the entire pattern varies depending on the Oscillator, Filter, and Insert Fx type, Independent parameters for each voice have been simplified; four voices share the parameters of one conventional voice.
- Sample: Type (920), Pitch/Glide, Edit
- Sample Types: Analog (16), Audio In (2), Kick (37), Snare (44), Clap (12), HiHat (37), Cymbal (8), Hits (33), Shots (44), Voice (31), SE (7), FX (30), Tom (10), Percussion (31), Phrase (15), Loop (22), PCM (31), User Sample (499)
- Filter: Filter (Cutoff), Resonance, EG Int, LPF/HPF/BPF (3)
- Modulation: Type (72), Depth, Speed
- Amp/Envelope Generator: Level, Pan, Attack, Decay/Release, Amp EG On/Off
- Scale Types: 35
- Gate Arpeggiator Types: 50
- Sampling Frequency: 48 kHz
- AD/DA Conversion: 24 bit
- Sampler: User Samples: Up to 499 samples. Memory: Total maximum approximately 270 seconds (calculated as monaural), Regardless of the capacity of the SD card, Including presets. Edits: Start/End Point, Loop Start Point, Tune, Time Slice, Level, Direction, Resampling
- Effect: Insert Effect: One unit: (can be used on each of the 16 parts). Type (38), Edit, Insert FX On/Off, Master Effect: One unit:Type (32), Touch Pad, Master FX On/Off, Master FX Hold On/Off
- Sequencer: Number of Steps: 16 steps x 4. Number of Parts: 16 parts(one part consists of a sound, steps, insert effect, modulation sequence, etc). Number of Patterns: 250 patterns (200 Presets / 50 Initial) (one pattern consists of parts, master effect, key, scale setting, etc). Motion Sequences: Up to 24 motion sequences can be stored (for each pattern). Groove Types: 25. Pattern Set:Up to 64 patterns can be stored. Pattern Chain: Up to 250 patterns can be chained. Export: Ableton Live project file format, WAV file format (48 kHz, 16 bit). Event Recording Up to 100 files can be saved.
- Trigger Pads: Number of Pads:16 pads (Velocity sensitive). Modes: Trigger, Sequencer, Keyboard, Chord, Step Jump, Pattern Set
- Touch Pad. Modes: Gate Arp, Touch Scale, Master FX
- Connectors: Audio:L/Mono, R Output (Standard phone jack), Headphones (Stereo mini jack), Audio Input (Stereo mini jack) MIDI: In, Out (Use an included MIDI adapter cable). USB:Type micro B. Sync: In, Out (Stereo mini jack)
- External Storage Device: SD Card (512 MB -- 2 GB), SDHC Card (Up to 32 GB)
- Power. Power Supply: AC adapter (DC 9V) or AA battery x 6 (Alkaline battery or Nickel metal hydride battery) Battery Life: Approximately 5 hours (Power Saving: ON, with Nickel metal hydride battery)
- Chassis: Zinc die cast
- Dimensions: (W x D x H) 338 x 189 x 45 mm / 13.35” x 7.44” x 1.77”
- Weight: 1.6 kg / 3.53 lbs
- Color Variations: Metallic Red (electribe2s-RD), Black (electribe2s)
- Included Items: AC adapter (DC9V), MIDI adapter cable x 2, Ableton Live 9 lite (License card included)
- Accessories: Sync Cables: SQ-CABLE-6. Gig Bag: DJ-GB-1